Established in 2017, Deakin Law Clinic is a community legal service offering free legal advice, assistance and information to people experiencing disadvantage in their access to justice. It also aims to educate the broader community in relation to legal rights and justice issues.
Deakin Law Clinic was set up to provide Deakin Law Students with an opportunity to gain legal experience and to provide free legal assistance to those who ordinarily cannot afford legal advice. It functions as a teaching law firm, in which students at Deakin Law School can build their legal skills under the supervision of experienced lawyers. Deakin Law Clinic is based in two locations, Melbourne CBD and Geelong. It offers free legal assistance across Victoria.
Deakin Law Clinic offers free legal advice and assistance in the following practice areas:
- Civil and Commercial (Fines, Contract Disputes, Consumer Matters); assistance for small businesses and start-ups in preparation of services contracts
- Criminal – advice and assistance for matters before the Magistrates’ Court of Victoria
- Employment – advice on unfair dismissals and terminations
- Family – advice on family violence, parenting disputes, property disputes in marriages and de facto relationships and divorce
- Policy – submissions in law reform and preparation of legal information and how to guides.
Read more about the Deakin Law Clinic
Fact sheets on the Voice Referendum and the laws affecting everyday Australians – Deakin Law Clinic – 12 May 2023
Deakin Law clinic provides skills, experience and career focus – Law Newsroom – 13 November 2019
Mock bail application delivers real-world skills – Law Newsroom – 24 April 2019
Fighting for mercy – Law Newsroom – 10 August 2018
Turning legal knowledge into legal skills – Law Newsroom – 8 August 2018
A day in court – Deakin Law Students visit the Supreme Court of Victoria – Law Newsroom – 2 August 2018
DLS Clinics on display during Law Week – Law Newsroom – 16 May 2017
The introduction of Deakin’s own Law Clinics – Law Newsroom – 26 October 2016